Vision and missioN
The vision of the Center for STEM Education for Girls, and the STEM Consortium, is a world without a gender gap in STEM.
Working together, their shared mission is to provide opportunities for girls to broaden and strengthen their STEM skills through participation in curricular opportunities, co-curricular teams, interdisciplinary programs and external partnerships, including summer camps, institutes and conferences.
The Center and the Consortium focus on creating best practices, programs, and curricula that support girls’ STEM education and sharing them with other schools for replication. By providing leadership, expertise, advocacy, and innovation, they equip schools to graduate the next generation of women in STEM.
WE KNOW HOW GIRLS LEARN BEST IN STEM
- Taking Risks - learning to fail / #notperfect
- Engaging in Inquiry-based / Project-based Learning
- Tying Learning to a Higher Purpose - invoking empathy
- Building 3-D Spatial Skills - see work of Dr. Sheryl Sorby
- Connecting with Role Models - girls must see themselves in STEM majors / careers